Kaléo Program

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A word from last year's adventure award winner

Continuing in our series of posts from last year's award winners, here is a word from Cara Tetreo the adventure award winner.       

     First off I would just like to say that I was not the most adventurous heading into this program. However this past year through a lot of the out-trips I have learned about allowing God to take me out of my own boundaries and build perseverance. I have learned to try new things and not push myself so far that I will never try it again, but step by step I was able to accomplish what I thought was not possible for me. Through prayer and the overwhelming encouragement I received from my friends in the program I realized what I thought was not possible, was! This program will stretch you maybe more so than others in this component but that is good thing and it will allow you to receive growth in learning new skills, being challenged, relying and trusting in God and your fellow students.
            Personally I have realized that through the adventures, it is important to really absorb what you are doing and how it applies not only to the program but your life and walk with God.
While you are on the adventures try to let the beauty of His creation around you soak in and take those challenges as an opportunity to talk to God! A huge stretch for me was our out trip to Mount Albert Edwards. I knew that this out trip was going to be quite the challenge and I was unsure if I was able to accomplish it, having never hiked much before. However I used prayer all through the hike as a big support and there was nothing but praise and thankfulness towards God that I felt while reaching the top of that mountain!
            I also suggest on the adventures that you take the chance to be intentional in starting conversations with your fellow students. Ask them about their interests, home life, hobbies, family and more. The adventures are a great opportunity to bond together, have fun, and really get to know each other. While you still can do that during life at Camp Qwanoes, the adventure component is really tailored to communicating with one another, which allows to create a community very quick.
            Also, while you are going through your what to bring lists to pack for this September ask your friends, family or church family if anyone has what you need on that list. I ended up buying a lot of new things for our out trips when I could have easily asked people if I could borrow for the year. In the long run it saves you money and if you end up loving the adventure you tried you can always buy the stuff needed later to pursue the activity after the program! 

            Lastly, I would just like to say that the adventure aspect of the program is such a highlight! You are going to make memories of a lifetime with such an incredible Christ-centred small community! Soak in everything you can and take confidence in knowing that you do not have to be a professional at anything you try, I certainly was not! Just try your best and allow God to stretch and challenge you! You are going to have a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment